This lithograph is one of three that illustrate the introduction to a large work entitled "Regards sur Paris" written by the ten members of the Goncourt Academy. This piece comes from edition number 18 of the edition numbers 11-30 (vingt exemplaires numérotés à la presse de 11 à 30) from a total edition of 180. The text of each writer includes 3 or 4 colored lithographs executed by ten different artists (Beaudin, Braque, Brianchon, Carzou, Masson, Picasso, Dunoyer de Segonzac, Van Dongen and Villon).
Classification of the printing shows: 180 copies on large Arches that break down as follows:
10 copies numbered as they came from the press from 1 to 10, including a set of the original lithographs on pearly Japanese paper, signed by the artists, and a set on Arches; 20 copies numbered as they came from the press from 11 to 30, including a set of Arches of the original lithographs; 120 copies numbered from 31 to 150; 30 copies not for sale marked H.C. (hors commerce) specially reserved for the authors, artists and artisans of the book. All the copies are signed by the authors and the ten artists.
Published by Andre Sauret, Paris. From "Regards sur Paris". Mourlot 351.
Provenance: Private Collection, USA.
print this painting :: inquire about this work :: share
Born in 1895 in Mennecy (Seine-et-Oise), France, Andre Beaudin was a French painter and sculptor with a unique and intuitive painting style. Between 1911 and 1915 he attended l'École des arts decoratifs, developing an individual style. Beaudin's artistic career was surpressed for some time when he was deployed to serve in World War I. It wasn't until 1919, when he married painter Suzanne Rogers, that he shortly thereafter picked back up. In 1922 Beaudin held his first solo exhibition at the Galerie Percier in Paris, organized by Max Jacob.
By the 1930s cubism was making waves, but Beaudin was one of the first young artists to react against it. Instead, his art "became a search for all that as contrary to formula." His paintings began to be exhibited extensively throughout Europe and North America, in major solo exhibitions. In November 1962, Beaudin was awarded the Grand Prix National des Arts for his contribution to Modern Art. He was later commissioned by the architect Edouard Albert to create a major mosaic for the Faculty of Science de Jussieu in the 5th Arrondissement, near the Latin Quarter in Paris.
From 1964-1966 he worked collaboratively with the Manufacture de Sevres, the principal European procelain manufacturers, and created many sculptures and original decor with them. He passed away in June 1979 in France, but his work is still prominently represented and displayed by major institutions, such as the Musee National d'art Modern, the Centre Georges Pompidou, and the Centre National d'art Contemporain, Paris.