The nineteenth century saw the emergence of landscape as a major branch of English Art. Edward Waite was a Victorian landscape artist who painted during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.
Waite lived in Blackheath, Reigate, Dorking and Surrey. He was a member of the New Watercolours Society, and exhibited in London from 1878. Waite also exhibited at the Royal Society of British Artists, the New Gallery on Regent Street, and elsewhere. Waite’s work is held in Bristol, Preston and Cape-Town art galleries.
Art historian Christopher Wood describes Waite’s work as “standing out from the general run of mid-Victorian landscape painting by virtue of its poetic feeling, especially for spring flowers, summer meadows and autumn colours”. His work was popular during his lifetime. Like most Victorian landscape painters, Waite sought to project an image of an unspoiled rural paradise. The new Victorian patrons supported the English landscape school, seeing it as a distinctively English form of art.